Monday 1 September 2014

CILOK: SUBURBAN LOVE FOR AN AMATEUR SUBURBAN GEEK.


you might think I'm outta my mind or being mentally ill, but, one thing for sure, I was just, like, err, you know, having this kind of relatively permanent disorder of the mind. Oh no, not again.


cilok is an abbreviation of aCI dicoLOK. Originated from West Java, now it ubiquitously and pervasively spreads out all over Java, or may be , Indonesia. It is made from starch dough. The super-duper-stitious notion told us that the name Cilok came out as a result of the main ingredient of the food itself, which is starch, and the way we eat it up; using a kind of bamboo skewer.

there are like hundreds kinds of cilok. I have seen and tasted "Cilok Asmara" in ITC BSD. it's just another cilok, but the seller has successfully over-persuaded the target market and over-exaggerate the name of the product. well, uhm, lemme see.. we have Fried Cilok, Grilled Cilok, Cilok Bandung, Filled Cilok, etc. My 'honeybite' is Cilok Goreng. I once tasted Cilok Goreng for the very first time when I was in Bandung. I was about to go to Dipati Ukur to eat Surabi Bandung, but apparently I took the wrong way and had to stay for hours waiting for the angkots. It was a gloomy Satnite *HOW GREAT THOU ART* I waited for you, LOL, not you, I mean, the angkots. This lovely tummy couldn't be compromised, so at a glimpse I stopped at a Fried Cilok stall in front of PVJ. It was just unforgettable nighty nite with the Fried Cilok......... that I realized I have just fallen in love, AGAIN, A-FRIGGING-GAIN.. Thanks to cilok brother-sisterhood splattered all around Java. I could eat you up like a chocolate chunk. Eat you up. You'll dig it. Truly, madly, deeply. Like for eternity. 

Here's a secretively open recipe for Cilok Goreng Bandung. The best cilok I've been craving forever like ever. 

I N G R E D I E N T S
For The Cilok:
  • 200 grams starch
  • 200 grams wheat
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon broth powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 chopped chive stalks
  • 400 ml water, for the dough
  • 1 teaspoon salt

For the Peanut Sauce :
  • 150 grams grind roasted peanut
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • salt
  • warm water to thin out the sauce

D I R E C T I O N S
Peanut Sauce :
  • Mix the ingredients all together.
  • Whisk well until the sugar has dissolved and the peanuts are thoroughly distributed.
  • Cook for 3-4 mins in medium heat until it gets thicken.
  • add some chilies if you like it

The ULTIMATE FRIED CILOK :

  1. First thing first, combine the starch, wheat, chopped chives, and garlic. Mix evenly until they're perfectly combined. 
  2. Boil 400 ml water, add some salt, broth powder, and pepper.
  3. Pour the boiled broth into the flour mixture little by little. Stir slowly until the dough dull enough to be mold.
  4. Take a tablespoon of the dough, mold it with yer bare hands. It's up to you to mold the dough into whatever shape. If I may suggest, make a Saturn-look-a-like cilok, which has a ring on it. No, kidding. 
  5. Boil your teeny tiny pieces of heaven, no, I mean, cilok, into a saucepan of boiled water. It will be floating to the surface if it's well-done cooked. Drain the well-done cooked cilok for about 2 mins before you steam it.
  6. Soon after you finished steaming the ciloks, you can directly deep fried them, or just served them with splashes of peanut sauce. YUM!

CILOK
~CHEWY, DEWY, YUMMY~
It's simply massive, addictive, and explosive.


This photo was taken back in 2010. Where? You know where? The Mud Lake of Lapindo - Sidoarjo, East Java. 






BONUS
ABANG CILOK


No comments:

Post a Comment